Friday, May 2, 2014

Ovals!

Time to catch up on my blogs.  :)   Oval week happened to fall on Easter week, so I did a combination oval/Easter theme this week.
 Day one:  Our word was oval to introduce the week theme.  We sang two oval songs this week.  The first was sung to "oh oh oh It's Magic":
Oh oh oh an oval, you know, is like a stretched out circle
An oval, you know, is like a stretched out circle

The other was lots of fun mainly because of the last verse: (I gave everyone an oval cut out)
Wave your oval in the air in the air(repeat)
Wave your oval in the air
Wave it here and wave it there
Wave your oval in the air in the air

Wave your oval by your toe by your toe (repeat)
Wave your oval by your toe
That is silly don't you know
Wave your oval by your toe by your toe
(Stand and jump up and down flapping your oval on the next verse)
Wave your oval like its hot like its hot(repeat)
Wave your oval like its hot
Now sit on your spot
Wave your oval like its hot like its hot.

  During calendar time we also read The Story of Easter, which talks about the true meaning f Easter in a child friendly way.  Then when we did our window art (shown above) we put a cross in our egg shape to remind us of what Easter is really about.


 Day two of oval week:  our word today was egg.  We had Plastic Easter Eggs hiding in our surprise closet.  Along with our oval songs, we also did an impromptu egg song which the girls LOVED.  It went like this: ( sing while holding the egg in both hand and shaking it)
I have an egg, I have an egg, I have an egg and it is sad (the egg then cries)
I have an egg, I have an egg, I have an egg and it is silly (the egg laughs)
I have an egg, I have an egg, I have an egg and it is hot (throw the egg in the air)
"  ". And it is shy (pretend its shy and coax it to peek at the class)
". ". And it has a tummy ache (then open it and say "Burp, I feel better") -this was their favorite verse and resulted in tons of giggles
We did tons of other verses: angry, broken, scared, likes to roll, etc. anything I could think of.
We also made cookies today, the girls rolled and cut out their own, so some were more like biscuit cookies.  :).   We decorated them squeezing the frosting on out of ziploc bags, which was not nearly as messy as using knives.  They were quite colorful and very delicious.


Our day three oval week word was Jelly Beans!  We had jelly beans in our surprise closet and did a fun number identification/ counting jelly bean activity.  We also got to eat some of course.  We did egg hunts this week as well with empty plastic eggs to "practice" for the real thing.  They loved finding the,, hiding them for each other and finding them again.

Day four the word was just Easter.  We colored eggs today.  I love how some of them had a tie dye effect.  I had the girls use a wire whisk to dip their eggs and it worked great!  No dropping the eggs or spilling the colored water.  It was a outstanding Oval week.
Bonus pic of the week:  here are the girls playing making cookies with play dough.  Playdough was an extremely popular item this week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment