Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Squares!



The second week of our shape theme was filled with lots of fun square activities.
On day one we made the window hanging shown above.  I put masking tape on the sticky side of contact paper then the girls painted it with tempera paint. (they painted the sticky side). I love the way it turned out.  I have a pic of both the circle collage from last week and the squares from this week.  Our dining room is starting to look beautiful.  :)
Our shape song this week was sung to the Blue Danube Waltz tune:
A square has four sides, one two three four
And they're all the same, one two three four
A square has four sides, they're all the same
That's why it's called a square
We sang that everyday during calendar time and did a square chant while moving around a square on the carpet made with masking tape.
The square chant:
A square is a shape with 4 equal sides (repeat)
One, two, three, four
A square is a shape with four equal sides
Lets march in the shape of a square, lets gallop in the shape of a square, etc.
They love this part of calendar time.



Day two of squares was box day!   Yay boxes.  My husband found this great huge box for the girls to play in.  First they wanted to just sit and climb in it, then they asked me to turn it into a house.  Throughout this week it has been a circus, a store, a firehouse, a doctors office, a pirate ship, a trampoline, and a ball pit.  I'm sure I missed a few play themes too.  :). What a magical box. I had other activities planned for that day, but we never got to them, the box was too much fun.



Day three of squares was block day.  I found a nice block set with wagon that the girls enjoyed building towers, lining up, finding letters, building houses, and spelling words with.  My husband also made some wooden cubes that I just colored with Sharpies and the girls did some cube color matching activities.  I made letters as well as shapes for this activity.




Day four of square day was sandwich day.  We of course had sandwiches for lunch, but I also made a simple sandwich shop out of felt and foam sheets.  The bread, bologna, onions, ketchup and mustard are foam, the ham, lettuce, tomato and Swiss and cheddar cheese are felt.  This was very easy to make and the girls loved taking orders and making sandwiches for each other.
The Lego game was also very simple to make and is a great game for counting and color recognition.



Day five of squares was hopscotch day.  I made this inside/outside roll away hopscotch board using a roll of cupboard liner and green duck tape.  We have rolled it up put it down, moved it to numerous rooms, (even the bathroom, do t ask me why!) and it is holding up very well.   
We also made this shape art.  I just set out various sizes/colors of shapes, glue, and brushes.  They are all very unique and beautiful modern art masterpieces.  :).   
Hooray for squares!!

No comments:

Post a Comment